Over the last few years more and more ‘parents’ seem to be talking about their children ‘still’ living at home. Here are some of the reasons that I’ve heard about: –
- They can’t afford to rent,
- They can’t get a mortgage,
- They’re unemployed
- It’s simply cheaper to stay at home
As far as I can see there seems to be a few different scenarios. This is how I see it but please do let me know if you have a different view.
- Parents are happy for their children to stay with them until they ‘settle down’ with someone.
- Parents want their children to move out and stand on their own two feet.
- Parents feel lumbered and do not want to support their children into their 30’s or beyond.
- Parents are willing to let their children stay with them if they help contribute whether it’s by paying bills, giving something in terms of rent etc.
What do you think?
Is it OK to support your children unconditionally until they leave the nest?
Should they contribute and relieve their parents of some responsibilities when they are old enough?