My friend was telling me about the fact that he was going away and didn’t know what to take. He hadn’t started packing yet and wasn’t sure where to begin.
I stumbled upon this website and thought the content was great in terms of preparing well before you travel. So I thought I’d share it with you. 🙂
Weâ€™ve put together this travel check list to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe whilst you are there. Weâ€™ve got more advice for specific types of travellers in our Travel advice relevant to you section.
Before you go:
* check our travel advice pages for the country you are visiting. Sign up for email alerts and youâ€™ll get the latest updates for that country
* register with our LOCATE service so we can get in touch with you if something goes wrong
* find out where the nearest embassy will be â€“ check their website to find out what services they offer and their opening times
* donâ€™t travel without insurance â€“ make sure it covers you for any activities you are likely to undertake such as extreme or water sports
* travelling within the EU? Then get a free European Health Insurance Card for free or reduced emergency care – you still need full travel insurance though!
* check with your doctor whether you need any vaccinations at least six weeks before you travel
* make sure youâ€™ve got correct visas for the country you are visiting and that your passport is valid
* for certain countries your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel â€“ check before you go
* take photocopies of your passport and other important documents and keep these separate from the originals when you travel and/or store them online using a secure data storage site.
* tell a friend or relative where you are going and for how long for – give them some idea of your itinerary if possible and an emergency contact number
* take enough money for your trip and some back-up funds in a mix of cash and travellers cheque – make a note of the chequesâ€™ numbers before you go
* invest in a good travel guide to help you plan your trip
* driving abroad? Make sure your licence is current and valid. Make sure you are aware of the driving laws in the country you are visiting
* turn the land line off at home